7.26.2008

A Most Delicious Cheddar

There's something old-fashioned feeling about Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company. Maybe it's the fact that they have a hand on every part of the cheesemaking process, from the cows to the foil wrapping around their Original Blue. Maybe it's the old milk can on the label, or perhaps because they pour all of their efforts into only one cheese.

But recently, I discovered an addition to the family, the extraordinary Vintage White Cheddar. There I was, at the Point Reyes Farmers Market, standing in front of a young lady offering only a few selections from both Cowgirl Creamery and Point Reyes. While the cheddar was the last thing I tried, it was by far my favorite; quite possibly one of the most delicious cheddars I have ever tasted.




While it crumbles a bit when sliced, it is incredibly moist and creamy. Rich, milky taste with an amazing sharp tang that lingers well after the last bit has melted from your tongue, this cheese has the flavor characteristics of a long aged cheddar but the texture of a near youngin'. Yet again, Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co. has shown us that they know simplicity at it's very finest.




Though it may not be easy to find nearby, it is available through their website, paired with a wedge of Original Blue, and a "knock your socks off" macaroni and cheese recipe. But this cheese is well worth the hunt. And by the way, if you haven't tried their Original Blue, it turns even the "I don't eat blue cheese" crowd into believers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that cheddar alright, but it disappoints me that they sell it at farmer's markets -- the cheddar is made in Wisconsin, and hardly a local craft.

Jasmine said...

Brilliant! I was wondering where that came from! I had a sneaking suspicion that it was made for Point Reyes, but I never imagined it came from Wisconsin. Do you know who makes it?

Anonymous said...

Hi!
If you like this kind of cheese then you should taste the Italian marzolino as for example www.renieri.net/marzolini_e.html
Not so popular as the pecorino one but really great! ;)