7.12.2008

Down wit' GBD

This is new to me, this GBD. Apparently I'm out of the loop, not hip. But golden, brown and delicious? Now you're talkin'.

And GBD around these parts is more than just an abbreviation, it's a destination. Point Reyes Farmer's Market is home to one heck of a grilled cheese haven, the GBD stand. It's a little secret, I think, to those outside of the Point Reyes area; I wouldn't have known about it myself if not for a friendly, though anonymous, comment. Thank you, anonymous, I was made very happy today.

From what I can gather, of the three creations on GBD's menu, one is a regular (The Breakfast Bobby), one is regular (as in, a plain grilled cheese, though I use plain in the most thoughtful way), and one draws on the pleasures of the Farmer's Market that surrounds it. All sandwiches are served on generously buttered (hello, Strauss Creamery) and crisp Brickmaiden Breads. Hint, hint: the warm, fresh, crusty breads themselves may be yours to take home if you get to the market early enough, for the Brickmaiden sells out quickly.




First, "The Gianni," contained Mezzo Secco Jack from Vella Cheese and Cave Aged Gruyere. I am a huge fan of Gruyere, especially in grilled cheese sandwiches. And the Mezzo Secco? Well, Vella Cheese is one of the few producers of the simply delicious Dry Monterey Jack, a firm, extra aged, seriously nutty Jack cheese; Mezzo Secco is just a less-dry version of the same. These cheeses made quite a team. A bit of pungent ripe Gruyere balanced by a smooth-melting salty Jack. And in the argument for the use of grated cheese: little toasted cheese crispies clinging to the buttery crust. There is no debating it, that's the best part.




Then, "The Lunny Link." This one I wasn't prepared to fall in love with, but I did. Organic grass fed hot link sausage (that's a mouthful), Dijon mustard, caramelized onion, and cheese. I didn't ask what the "cheese" was, and for that, I give myself a slap on the wrist. No matter, it was not the star here; this sandwich was a complete package. It had everything it needed and nothing it didn't. Thin slices of sausage from The Lunny Ranch (part of Drakes Bay Family Farms, also hosting a booth at the market) mounds of soft, sweet onion, a few swathes of tangy Dijon, and just enough gooey cheese to hold it all together. This one's a keeper.




And finally, "The Breakfast Bobby," the sandwich with a golden center. Yes, the intense yellow you see here is that of a pasture raised Marin Sun Farms chicken egg, blanketed with Bravo Farms Cheddar. The perfect hand-held breakfast, wrapped in a brown paper envelope, ready for the go.



Though truly, for these, you ought to take a seat. And yes, it's worth the drive.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the article. I am the cheeser :).
Come try the braised organic goat shoulder with gruyere soon; my last year favorite, although I do love the Lunny links.
Will have to repeat that one this week.
Say hi when in town
Christian

Anonymous said...

Tks for tip about the GBD stand, their grilled cheese looks divine!

For more fine foodie cheesy goodies check out our podcast dedicated to cheese.

All You Need is Cheese:
http://www.allyouneedischeese.ca/passionates/audionewsletter/microsite/

Best,
Andres

Jasmine said...

Christian...braised goat? I am so there. Thanks for doin' what you do!